In 1848 Dr. Traill Green of Easton conducted a tour of communities in Pennsylvania to determine how they cared for their dead. Dr. Green and leading citizens of Easton began to organize efforts to establish a public cemetery the following year. Prior to that time, the dead were buried in small family or church grounds in unregulated conditions. The creation of a large public cemetery would release land for new construction and development as well as provide a picturesque and regulated sanitary place of burial for the community.
Easton Cemetery was incorporated on April 5, 1849, by the granting of a charter from the State General Assembly. Its founding board was comprised of twelve prominent citizens. A grounds committee was established on March 15,1849, to select a series of possible sites in the borough area for the cemetery location. James Charles Sidney, civil engineer and the landscape architect for the Laurel Hill Cemetery in Philadelphia, was retained in May and later visited Easton. He recommended the current site over the others being considered and work began immediately on laying out the cemetery.
Easton Cemetery quickly became the primary place of burial within the Easton area. It also served as the place for the reinterment of graves moved from earlier urban burial areas of the community. The strict and careful stewardship of the cemetery board and its adherence to Sidney’s original landscape plan and aesthetic precedence was a major contribution to the community. Contemporary written accounts and references clearly indicate the success of the cemetery in becoming the primary place of Sunday promenading and quiet recreation of families of all socio-economic means of the community. The beautiful landscaping of the Easton Cemetery grounds made it an example of the earliest formal park-like environs in the Easton region.
Easton Cemetery was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. Unlike many historic cemeteries, we are still an active cemetery, and burials still occur on a regular basis.
Jeff Mutchler, Superintendent
Christine Mutchler, Office Manager
Paul Beers, Grounds Foreman
Matt Ayers, Grounds Crew
List of Board Members
Mr. Jeffery Mutchler, Superintendent.
Mr. Marshall Wolff, President
Mr. James Woodley, Secretary
Mrs. Anna Barrese
Mrs. Mary Lee Coffin
Mr. Thomas McFadden